Flesh-led Approval

Why do we care what people think about us? What is it about us that craves acceptance and approval? Two words: Our flesh.

The flesh is tricky. It can make us crave things that are inherently bad for us. It can make us disregard things that we should really pay more attention to. That flesh of ours really knows how to do it. It knows what we like and drives us to get it - even when we outright know that we don't need to get involved.

Praise be to God that we don't have to live under the mandate and control of our flesh. As children of God, we can tell ourselves to "pump brakes." We don't have to get go there. We can stop. When we belong to God, we have a helper - the precious Holy Spirit dwelling inside of us. Isn't that incredible!? God left us with the Word to strengthen us and a piece of Himself dwelling within us.

The Holy Spirit is such a gentleman. He's not going to force Himself or His will upon us. But don't be mistaken. He's there, waiting for us to listen to His correction and direction. He knows what God desires for us to be about. Afterall, He is God - He is part of the Holy Trinity.

So, then, what we have to do is get our flesh under submission to God. We can do it with His help. We can do it when we stop looking to others for approval of what we say, do and think and instead look to God for His approval of us.

How can we know that He approves? Easy - read the Word. The Bible will tell you everything that you are supposed to be about as a child of God. And, when your life lines up with the Word, then you will know that He approves of your activities.

No, it's not always easy - but it is always necessary.

Yes, you will make mistakes, but God has left the necessary steps to be forgiven in His Word.

Follow Christ - He will treat you right. Trust in the Lord. Don't worry about what other people think. They don't have a Heaven to put you in - they are not the ultimate judge. God is. Live your life to please Him.

And, if you do, you'll never look back - how do I know? I know because when you seek His approval and structure your life to be obedient to what He requires, you will feel a freedom that you've never felt before. Once you lay your burden down, don't pick it back up.

Be free!

Have a great weekend!

One Response so far.

  1. Anonymous says:

    "They don't have a Heaven to put you in..."

    WOW, WOW, WOW. I like THAT! That is huge, and I need to remember that.

    This approval seeking thing is tough to kick. I started intentionally taking note of just how often I think about what other people might be thinking about me, and how often I amend my actions in order to try to make them think good things.

    I found that I DO IT ALL THE TIME.

    It is a frightening thing to examine oneself, is it not?

    Even linking to Lysa's blog yesterday has made me wish I had time to re-write every post; tempted me to criticize myself and to wish I was more clever and more insightful. And, for goodness sake, to dearly wish I was a better writer!

    I was reading Lysa's post, and as soon as I read that she was going to read our favorite posts in order to "get to know us" better, I went and linked to one.

    THEN I noticed the part about the magazine. I'm so very glad I didn't notice before, or I would have spent all day trying to write something eloquent and would have never gotten my dishes done.

    :-) Helen