P31 Posting: Weeds!

To the Proverbs 31 staff,

Welcome to my blogsite! I am submitting this post for your contest consideration. It's entitled "Weeds!" and it is about spiritual dryness. I pray that you will find it a joyful read.

Yours and His,
Sanya



Weeds!

I’ve got weeds y’all. Anyone that knows me will tell you that I put a lot of time and effort into maintaining a nice, green, lush lawn. I got that trait from my Dad. He would say, “If you make the investment in a house, you should also make an investment in the yard. It frames the house.”

Well, where I live, we are experiencing an “exceptional drought.” Apparently, that’s the worst category. Pray for rain! Due to the drought, my lawn is parched. The grass is no longer nice, green and lush. In fact, in some spots, the lawn is bare. The grass died due to the harsh conditions: extreme heat with little nourishing and cooling rain. And now, I see weeds encroaching in my grass!

Surveying my lawn, I began to ponder - could it be that my spiritual life is being played out in my lawn?

There are extremes in my spiritual life. I can be “red-hot” for God or I can be a “lazy” Christian and sometimes I fall somewhere in between. Don’t gasp. I’m not alone. My “status” in this area all depends on how much quiet time I spend alone with God.

Lately, I’ve been slack. I’ve put several other “important” and well-intentioned things before my devotional time with God. Don’t get me wrong. I’m still praying and studying. But, I’m talking about real quiet time – where I am still enough – long enough to hear my Father speak to me. Quiet time!

As a result of neglecting my quiet time, the “harsh” circumstances and conditions of my life have presented a drought-like situation for my soul. I need the nourishing rain of a long conversation with my Father.

Can you relate? The drought in my state spans multiple counties. And, although you may not physically live where I do, if, when you take a spiritual survey, you discover weeds, I urge you to seek the nourishing rain that is available. I pray that the ground of our hearts is saturated with praise for God. I finally understand the saying “My soul thirsts for thee.”

I’ve got weeds in my yard but I don’t want weeds in my soul. I know that grass – having a personal relationship with God – is the best defense against weeds. Take the steps with me now to return to being a woman of God that sits at the feet of our Lord, listening and learning, in intimate fellowship with Him – sans weeds. Spend time alone with him, practicing the discipline of Solitude. Enter a noise-free period designed for communing with Him.
Afterall, He comes first! But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you. (Matthew 6:33 KJV)

My God, let it rain!

4 Responses so far.

  1. Celly B says:

    What a great analogy! Thanks for sharing it with us.

  2. Thanks for stopping by Celly B! And, thanks for the encouragement!

  3. Is this a repost? I love it. Yes let's pull some weeds girl!
    Much love,
    Angela

  4. Yepper Angie,

    It's a repost. I thought I'd dust it off and use it for the P31 contest. I saw your entry too! Great job.