Circadian Cycles

Merriam Webster defines jet lag this way: a condition that is characterized by various psychological and physiological effects (as fatigue and irritability), occurs following long flight through several time zones, and probably results from disruption of circadian rhythms in the human body.

And, you know me. I read this and said – what does circadian rhythm really mean? It’s obvious from the text but I wanted to know what good ole Britannica and Wikipedia had to say about that.

Within the circadian (24-hour) cycle, a person usually sleeps approximately 8 hours and is awake 16. Here’s a Circadian diagram of someone that gets up early in the morning.


All I can say is that I am truly jet-lagged. And, as soon as I get used to this timezone, it will be time to fly back home. But, God is good. I’m expecting to rest really well this week and get the rest that I need.

So, that brings to mind two questions: How many hours of sleep per night do you get on average and what do you do to relax?