Practical Wisdom from a Practical Dad

My daddy has always had an interesting way of communicating with me. Lately, with all of the big jets crashing into the Atlantic, my thougths had turned to a bit of worry. Particularly since I was about to make another transatlantic trip.

So, being the Christian that I am, I prayed for comfort and God readily supplied it. And then to make sure that I was okay, He sent in reinforcements. He sent my daddy.

The night before my trip, I was talking to Daddy - telling him of my past bravado.

People would ask - "Aren't you scared to fly so long - especially over the Atlantic?"
My response - "No, planes are safer than cars. They just make news because when something goes wrong, so many are injured or killed but God makes no mistakes. There are no runways on the Atlantic. And, quite frankly, I have got my business straight with God, so if I go down, I'll just be with the Lord sooner than I'd planned."

Of course, my reply was matter of fact.

And my matter of factness was challenged with these planes taking unexpected dips in the ocean. So, my daddy, being the practical man that he is said:

"Oh, don't worry. You will be fine. If anything were to happen, you will coast about 100 miles and land somewhere."

Now, that may not comfort you, but it made me know that everything would be fine. My imagination had my plane breaking up over the Atlantic like those false reports on Air France.

As I type this, I'm sitting at my desk - safely back from Germany. The outbound trip was fine - no problems. I even slept as we crossed the Atlantic. The inbound trip was fine too. God, in my imagination, guided my plane to and from on the tip of his finger.

I have recognized that I have no control in this manner, but I do know that God does. I thank Him for sending my daddy - a man of interesting wisdom designed to suit this interesting daughter.

Beams Blog Footer 3