Get on Up!

“Oh man! I was doing so good but then I slipped.”
Does this statement sound familiar? Probably so. Let’s just think of a few applications of this statement:

Oh man! I was doing so good with my EXERCISE ROUTINE but then I slipped.
Oh man! I was doing so good with my DIET but then I slipped. I had to have that key lime pie! (true statement)
Oh man! I was doing so good with getting to work on time, but then I slipped.
Oh man! I was doing so good with my morning quiet time, but then I slipped.
Oh man! I was doing so good… but then I slipped…

The first reaction when this statement becomes our own, is a mixture of frustration, self-doubt/pity and disappointment. And, that’s understandable. You were committed to something and for whatever reason, you’ve let yourself down. I know this to be true. I’ve been trying to lose a few pounds for a minute. I do good and the minute I see results, then I’m back to my old habits. That’s a wrong way of achieving a goal.

You see, I need to commit to something more permanent. I need to commit to simply getting a few pounds off of me for my health. I need to make better choices with the foods that I eat. For example, I love French fries. Always have. Well, now that I’m a wee-bit older, French fries love me too. Meaning, when I eat them, they tend to stick around. You remember that commercial where everything the woman ate attached itself to her hips. Yep. Okay. You see where I’m coming from. Back in the day, I couldn’t buy hips but now….well, there’s a need for the elliptical! You see, I’ve gotten beyond the self-doubt and frustration. I’m not even disappointed. I can laugh at myself and keep things moving. I fell off the exercise wagon – okay, let’s just be real…I jumped off the exercise wagon and now I’m ready to get on and stay on for good.

Now, here I am, telling the world that I need to lose a few pounds. And, I will. No doubt about it. I’m committed to an improved, healthier lifestyle that includes a fitting diet and exercise. It’s what’s best for me. And, that’s what I’m after. So, yes, I have slipped but thank God that when I fell down, He was right there with me, helping me to stand once again.

Whatever may be getting the better of you, know that God is right there with you too – willing and able to help you to stand. Trust Him, and keep pressing.