Chunks Can Walk! And You Can Too!

Chunks can walk!

Y’all I can’t believe it. Chunks is my godson. He is 11 months old, and well, rather stocky. But, he’s healthy and the absolute delight of my existence. When he’s with me, we do all sorts of fun things including his all-time favorite game – “Climbing over Aunt Sanya,” drooling on me the whole time (Yuck). My little fella likes to be close. So, even if that means driving toys all over me just so that he can have an excuse not to play on the floor – well, that’s what he’ll do. And, I, being the accommodating person that I am submit to becoming an adventuresome highway.

But now, Chunks has a highway all of his own. You see, walking, or the attempt thereof, is nothing new for my little guy. He pulls himself up, balances himself with his arms slightly out to the right and the left and then, when everything is stable, with feet firmly planted and arms in place to hold onto something – like my ottoman, or my hands, he walks …. From the left to right. Not straight in front of himself mind you, but from left to right. I call it the “chunks side step.”

He is finding freedom and mobility more and more every day though. You see, I was informed that now, he walks forward now. No more side to side business. This was breaking news last night at my household. I’m so excited for the little guy!
The whole thing reminded me of our relationship with the Lord. We start out as babies, just wanting to be close. When we get saved sho’ nuff, we can’t get enough of the Lord. Every time the doors of the church open, we are right there, yearning to be feed the milk of the Word. But as time moves on, we learn new things and experience a different level in Christ. We want meat. We run all over the Word exploring its pages and getting knowledge, finding our rhythm and balance in Him. And then we branch out. Confident in whom we are as the redeemed of God. And sure we may “side step” from time to time, but we make it forward, by the grace of God.

Walk on.

One Response so far.

  1. Kathy says:

    I LOVE this post! :-) And I can't wait to see you at She Speaks!