Celie, I'm Coming!

I’m so excited. Tonight, my sister and I are going to see “The Color Purple.” The play is in town and we’ve got some good seats! Yay! So, after I work today, I’ll run home, get dressed and go enjoy the show.

My sister and I have always had a thing for musicals. It all started with the Sound of Music, which I have in VHS, DVD and Special Edition DVD. And, of course, I’ll also have it in Blu-Ray if it comes out on Blu-Ray and if I ever get a Blu-Ray player. Donations accepted. Joking. But, truly we’ve always loved musicals. For me, I feel transported to another space and time. They send me right into the thick of what’s going on and I become a participant and not a viewer. Now, this can get a little uncomfortable for some because if a character is upset – well, so am I; and if a character that I’ve connected with starts crying – well, start-up the water works, cause I’m crying too. It’s a distraction that I welcome. It’s a mini-vacation of sorts from my own world.

Many people have told me they feel this way when they read books by certain authors. Nicolas Sparks springs to mind here. I have only read one of his books (gasp!) but I agree with the recommenders. Sparks will take you there – to the edge of your emotions – and he crafts a good story, pulling the reader in all the way.

So, I‘m expecting great things from this play. I’m looking forward to connecting with Celie, partnering with her through the trials and celebrating with her through the triumphs. I believe that it’s going to be a wonderful experience that will take me back to the heart of the story, energize me with the singing, and make me appreciate every little thing around me – even the color purple. Celie, I'll see you tonight!