Tame the PDA!

I remember a time when sexuality and sexually-charged emotion was a private matter.

I miss that time.

Now, it seems that I see people displaying their affection for each other rather publicly. I'm no prude, but man! Somethings go a little too far. Let's just say it this way, if I can sense that your respective ovens are heating up, you've done too much in public.

Am I to shy away as if I never saw you about to turn a park bench into a bedroom?

Am I to alter my plans and take another route to avoid having to encounter your promiscuity?

The sad part is that most of the time, it's young people -- young, unmarried people making out in public places. Something saddens me when I see a young girl getting groped by a young guy with that look in her eyes that compromise "ain't nothing but a thang"; that look that says that she'll do anything to keep and/or please him. It makes ME wanna snatch HER and talk to her about her self worth. But, I know better than to do that. She'd probably snatch me! Some people have told me that I just need to walk away but what happens if I cannot just walk away?

What happens when I cannot take another route? Well, let me just tell you what happened on one transatlantic flight...

Excited to come home, I joyfully took my seat in economy. The plane was 3x4x3 (number of seats) for each row. Everything was looking good - I had the aisle seat, an older business man had the middle seat and then came trouble.

This young fella, unmarried, tattooed....with a scantily-clad girlfriend asked the pleasant business man to change seats with him so that he would not have to be without his girlfriend for the entire flight. The guy agreed. Everything was good until the wheels were off the ground.

The couple started making out - little by little until the girlfriend's head was near MY lap; his hands were up her shirt; tongues; breast; heavy breathing...at 35K feet.

I notioned that I was uncomfortable - they didn't care. I mentioned something to the flight attendant. Nothing was done. Finally food was served. They stopped long enough to eat. Thank God.

I went to praying hard. Real hard.

The enemy flared up - they rebelled against me. But, in the end, God had the victory!

They had a fight because he started drinking. She was turned off. He drank. He got sick...at least I think so. He came back to his seat looking a little green. And, then, he went to sleep for the bulk of the remainder of the flight. When he did get up, he watched a movie. A pleasant ending to a flight that started out not so good.

I wish that people would know a few things:

  1. God has reserved sex for marriage
  2. There is an intimacy that cannot be replaced in marriage which makes love making beautiful - not some ravaged animalistic act performed for the enjoyment (or disgust) of others
  3. Teenagers cannot really know what love making is. No, they cannot. They know urges and they know sex as promoted commercially. They don't know turning to one another and enjoying the whole person. They know how to enjoy parts. Some adults are stuck on the parts and not the person, so there's much work to be done to communicate God's design for this type of union
  4. God has a way of making wrongs right - hold your peace; pray and He will take care of everything
  5. Sin will not prevail. It has an expiration date
  6. God loves you more than anyone else ever could
  7. You are fearfully and wonderfully made.

So, now, that's all I have to say on this issue. And, if you find yourself in a dating relationship, please for the sake of us that don't want to watch Cinemax while flying or walking in the park, please keep your PDA (public displays of affection) to a minimum. Tame your PDA. It is much appreciated!

2 Responses so far.

  1. Kathy says:

    Oh my goodness! I almost can't believe your experience, but given our culture, sadly, I DO believe it. Wow.

  2. I kept saying - "I can't even believe this" while it was happening. But, the couple was also coming from Europe where sexual expression is a bit more free/open.