Pray for Our President and Nation

January 20, 2009. A historic day for our nation. Nearly 2 million people (unofficial) gathered in sub-freezing weather to watch the Inauguration of our 44th president, Barack H. Obama. I was not there in Washington, but I set up a command center of sorts in my home such that I could watch the swearing in ceremony from the various media vantage points.

So many people are optimistic about this presidency. So much weight is being put on this president. I am concerned about the expectation factor. The media loves him now - what about two weeks from now? Two months? Two years? There needs to be some proper calibration. President Obama is a man, not God. And, although he certainly has my prayers and support, he alone can only do so much. Yet, it seems, that even people around the world have put their hope in him. Some of my colleagues in Germany are very excited and optimistic about President Obama, telling me at one time very passionately, "we need this." Oh, the pressure!

We are encouraged in the Bible to pray for those in leadership position over us. We are to honor the position that they hold. God establishes government. We are to pray to Him that He would guide those in leadership and that these same leaders would be receptive to His command.

So, I encourage you today to pray for President Obama and his entire team. Pray for our nation's policies and people. Pray, saints, Pray. And, may God find favor with America and bless us now and forevermore.