An Interesting Comparison

I worked into the night last night. I had a 24-hour turnaround for a project. So, what started out as a pretty normal Tuesday turned into a “let’s get this done” type of day. Eating at my desk. Working late into the night. Going to bed early this morning. Back at work on time. But, the one thing that I noticed is that I never complained. Now, admittedly, the bad economy has something to do with that. I’m grateful to have a job because I have these pesky things called bills that demand my attention. However, what caught my attention most is the comparison that sprung to mind.

Why is it that the things that we do for the world – and even for ourselves – our so-called livelihood, don’t really bother us when we have to do a little more or break our routine? I believe it’s because we can immediately see the benefit of doing a little more right then. For me, it means the satisfaction of a job well done and the slides that will go to management being completed within the requested timeframe. My flesh feels satisfied that I was able to do it.

But what about spiritual things? Why is it that if church service goes beyond the time limits that we expect that we are upset and bothered? Our smiles can turn to frowns when we want the preacher to go ahead and wrap up or we stop thinking about the moment that we are in for the moment that we are trying to get to? How is that we limit our worship and we limit the things that will bring up closer to God but will gladly go above and beyond for the tangible things?

It’s something to think about.