Did She Just Say That to Me?

People can be cruel sometimes. And sometimes, the level of their disposition can catch you off guard. Last night, I was at church preparing to study the bible when a woman called me over to her. She told me rather abruptly, “no hello, how are you doing” – exactly how she felt about my weight gain.

First, she attacked my character by asking a personal question which would never be any of her concern and then, with the combination one-two punch, she followed up with a physical description of a farm animal which she thought I favored.

Yes, I was at church.

Yes, she’s a “seasoned” saint, meaning she’s been around long enough to know the difference between right and wrong, appropriate and inappropriate.

I was stunned.

But, after much though, ponderance and prayer, I have to tell you today that I have to shake it off. It was an attack from the enemy. I’m not calling her the enemy. I’m just saying that she was used by him last night.

Yes, I have gained some weight – about 15 lbs, but no, I don’t look like any farm animal. Not even the cute little chickens that run around. I know this because I was created in God’s image. And, well, He’s no farm animal.

Second, I have dealt with low self-esteem issues in my past and I refuse to make them a part of my present. I gained the weight slowly and it will come off slowly. I’m not going to crash diet and harm myself to please some image that some person thinks I should look like. I refuse to allow the feeling of inferiority and helplessness to invade my 2009 or the rest of my life. I’m stronger now – that trick won’t work.

Third, I have to accept that some people will not apply wisdom to their tongues. If she was concerned about my health, there were multiple other avenues and words she could have chosen to address me from a spiritual viewpoint and from a physical viewpoint. But, she chose to use words to verbally beat me down – well, try to beat me down. That’s the enemy at work. So, the lesson for me is to be always wary and cautious for my enemy is seeking to devour and destroy me and the work that God has done in me.

I used to have a sharp tongue and although I’ve never quite said anything like that to somebody’s face, I now know what it feels like to be lashed out upon rather unsuspectingly. It makes me guard my mouth more.

And the applications could go on and on. So, you see, what that enemy of my soul meant for bad, God turned it around and used it for good. I will use my tongue for worship and praise and when chastisement is necessary, I will be stern but also gentle and kind. So, I guess I owe her a thank you.

Thank you, Mrs. You Know Who You Are, for demonstrating to me the type of person that I don’t want to be and helping me to see the type of person I need to become. More like Jesus. Kind in words and deeds.

“The tongue of the wise useth knowledge aright: but the mouth of fools poureth out foolishness. The eyes of the Lord are in every place, beholding the evil and the good. A wholesome tongue is a tree of life: but perverseness therein is a breach in the spirit.” – Proverbs 15:2-4

2 Responses so far.

  1. Kathy says:

    Oh Sanya! All anyone would have to do is look at your GORGEOUS facebook picture and they'd be blown away by your beauty. I'm thinking she has her own issues and you were (unfortunately) in her path at the wrong time. You're beautiful inside and out and KUDOS to you for seeing your worth in the Lord!

  2. Anonymous says:

    "With the tongue we praise our Lord and Father, and with it we curse men, who have been made in God's likeness. Out of the same mouth come praise and cursing. My brothers, this should not be. Can both fresh water and salt water flow from the same spring? My brothers, can a fig tree bear olives, or a grapevine bear figs? Neither can a salt spring produce fresh water."
    --James 3:9-12