What are you ready to say?

I’ve been having trouble this morning getting onto blogger – so please excuse the delay in this posting. Nevertheless, here I am – ready to say something…

Isn’t everybody ready to say something these days? It seems a never-ending circle of people, some earnest, some not so much, just wanting to say something. Well, this is what I have to say.

What is interesting to me is the number of commentators on the tube these days. Depending on the channel that you are watching, you will get a different spin. We have political commentators, sports commentators, life commentators – you name it – there is somebody there to tell you what you just heard and/or saw.

Because I spent a great deal of time in school, I am beginning to find this annoying. Or perhaps it is because we are in the campaign season that I’m noticing this more. A speech from a hopeful candidate comes on, and after they are done speaking, and before I can analyze the content of what I’ve just heard – here comes some commentator to tell me what I just heard. I think this makes us lazy thinkers. How will we ever analyze the issues as presented without that commentator's thoughts running through our minds??? – ahhh that’s why they do it – for the spin factor.

Although it seems like it, I’m not begrudging the commentators. I just wish that they would have less to say – and that they could say it a bit more objectively – with a lot less spin. I wish that they would put things in the light of Christ and examine the issues through the lens of Scripture. But, I guess I’m only dreaming.

This is what I know. God is sovereignly in control of all things. And, He will have the very last say-so on all matters. I wish that we could step back and look at things from His eye view. Scripture is in place for a reason – to guide us. We don’t need commentators to help us understand what we just heard and/or saw on the television. We are all given a brain to think with. We do need the Lord to help us understand His Word and how we can apply it to our lives. All that is going on is not about us – this is a spiritual battle.

I’m ready to say this morning, that knowledge of the Scriptures is what we need to make the best decision about anything. We need to think and react according to the Scriptures – not just some of the time – all of the time. But the snag here is that sermons don’t come in 30 second soundbytes. We need to want to spend more time learning what is right.

I’m ready to say this morning, our nation is perishing for lack of knowledge (Hosea: 4:6). But, the snag here is that although we buy Bibles, we don’t really want to spend the time cracking them open and reading them for comprehension and understanding – not just glossing over them like a novel.

And, finally, I’m ready to say that there is a remnant – you and me – we can work to become more effective witnesses for the gospel. We can begin with prayer and study of the Word and we can affect change. But, the snag here is that we have to believe that the Lord can return at any moment and we have to want to make sure that our loved ones will be with us in paradise.

We can do this by beginning to say something that has substance and value. We can say this by sharing the gospel message with everyone that we see and hear.

What are you ready to say?

2 Responses so far.

  1. Kathy says:

    Along with the research writing I taught at ISU, there was always a focus on critical thinking and analysis and NOT taking everything at face value. So to this post, I say, "HEAR, HEAR!" And your last few paragraphs...brilliant and inspiring. :-)

  2. Anonymous says:

    OUR GOD IS AN INCREDIBLE GOD. HE IS SO INCREDIBLE. HE WOKE YOU UP THIS MORNING AND I DONT KNOW ABOUT YOU BUT I AM GLAD ABOUT IT. I MAY HAVE BEEN GOING THROUGH SOME STUFF AND I MAY STILL BE GOING THROUGH SOME STUFF BUT I AM STILL HERE AND ITS BY THE GRACE OF GOD. IT WAS ONLY BY HIS GRACE AND HIS MERCY THAT BROUGHT ME THIS FAR. YOU CANT TELL ME THAT HE IS NOT INCREDIBLE. THERE WERE TIMES WHEN I THOUGHT I WASNT GOING TO MAKE IT BUT LOOK AT ME NOW I AM HERE STILL PRAISING AND GLORIFING GOD. CANT NOBODY DO ME LIKE JESUS. AS I LOOK BACK OVER MY LIFE, I REALIZE THAT GOD HAS BEEN SO GOOD TO ME. HE'S BEEN BETTER TO ME THAN I HAVE BEEN TO MYSELF. THATS WHY I KNOW HE'S DONE TOO MUCH FOR ME NOT TO WORSHIP HIM. HE HAS BEEN MIGHTY GOOD TO ME AND I DARE NOT SIT BACK AND LOOK CUTE. YOU CAN LOOK IF YOU WANT TO BUT I HAVE A RIGHT TO GIVE MY GOD SOME RADICAL PRAISE. I AM THANKFUL AND GRATEFUL FOR LIFE AND THAT I HAVE IT MORE AND MORE ABUNDANTLY. THE BIBLE DECLARES THAT JESUS CAME SO THAT WE MIGHT HAVE LIFE MORE ABUNDANTLY. NOTICE IT DIDNT SAY TEMPORARY BUT IT DID DAY MORE ABUNDANTLY. I AM GRATEFUL TODAY. THERE WERE TIMES WHEN I JUST FELT LIKE GIVING UP ON LiFE BECAUSE I HAD SO MUCH PRESSURE ON ME AND I DIDNT WANT TO LIVE ANYMORE BUT I THOUGHT ABOUT WHAT THE WORD OF GOD SAID AND IT SAID YOU SHALL LIVE AND NOT DIE. I AM GOING TO LIVE. I DONT CARE HOE MUCH I MAY BE GOING THROUGH SOMETHING. IM STILL GOING TO LIVE. EVERYBODY GOES THROUGH SOMETHING. I BELIEVE THAT GOD TAKE US THROUGH THINGS TO MAKE US STRONGER IN HIM AND I CAN SAY THAT I AM GETTING STRONGER IN HIM AND HIS WORD. GOD IS AN INCREDIBLE GOD AND AN INCREDIBLE GOD DESERVES AN INCREDIBLE PRAISE.