My growing appreciation for wood furniture

I opened my eyes in Germany today. What a beautiful country. This time, it's not too hot - not too cold. In fact, it's pretty perfect in temperature. God is so good.

I marvel at how we as people use the same resources differently. Remember when the majority of homes in America were made with solid wood through and through. Remember how wood was ornately carved and stained and became as much a feature of the home as everything else? Now in most homes, the wood is covered with siding and the other things, buried beneath some layer as to not expose it to the elements - and in some cases - to hide the inferiority/low quality of the wood. Now, it seems that the "expensive" and choice woods are reserved for designer homes or for public television (yes, I watch the shows where they make furniture with real wood...somebody has to). But not so here - here, in this place, the wood is the dominant theme.

There are wood beams in the ceilings and wood as the main architecture. Wood - beautiful wood! I never knew that I could be so excited about wood! But, that just goes to show you - we should always be open to new experiences.

What about you? Any new appreciations on your behalf? Let me know by comment below or email.

2 Responses so far.

  1. What fun you get to travel so much. Germany must be beautiful.

    New appreciations??? I wish I could say there were some but I do not have any but I am now going to open my eyes to them.
    Much love,
    Angela

  2. Anonymous says:

    I see a strong analogy between your description of wood and the christian life. We begin full of life and exuding the glory of Christ. Everything about us says to the world, "I am His!" and we adorn ourselves with prayer, Bible study, church fellowship and other godly embellishments so that the beauty of Christ in shines more brightly. However, over time, those godly adornments become too cumbersome and time consuming. It's much easier to wear the allurements of worldly pleasure and hope that the beauty of the "wood" somehow still comes through. The wood is no longer the dominant theme of our life, rather it's the showy exterior that gets all the attention, leaving the foundation upon which that exterior is built hidden and left to decay under the weight and wear of the world. Lord help us!

    Sorry if my analogy goes too far, but thanks for helping me to see ways in which, by God's grace, I can let the true "wood"/light of Christ in me to take center stage!

    By the way, you should post some pictures of these wood homes and have a great trip!

    Love ya,
    K-