Keeping Perspective on the Journey

Sometimes the road seems long – too long. Sometimes the mountains seem too high. But, when you are connected to the One True God…all things are possible.

It is easy to get upset and quit when things get hard. I know because I’ve done it several times. (Don’t pattern yourself after my example in this area.) It is much more difficult to keep the right perspective when things seem topsy-turvey in your life. But, I’m urging you not to give up and quit. Instead, keep your focus on the Lord at all times, and especially when things get tough.

Psalm 18 lays this out for us and gives us some guidance on praising God for delivering us. You know that He will deliver you, right? So, since we know this to be true, the best thing to do is to praise Him all the way through our trials.

Vs 2 gives this praise: The LORD [is] my rock, and my fortress, and my deliverer; my God, my strength, in whom I will trust; my buckler, and the horn of my salvation, [and] my high tower.

God is this – and so much more. What things do you know to be true about God from your personal experiences with Him. Take the time to list them out now – or call them out. Exalt Him with your tongue right now!

Welcome back.

Vs 4-6 tells us about the difficult situation that David faced: The sorrows of death compassed me, and the floods of ungodly men made me afraid. The sorrows of hell compassed me about: the snares of death prevented me. In my distress I called upon the LORD, and cried unto my God: he heard my voice out of his temple, and my cry came before him, [even] into his ears.

David was in a tough spot. And, who did He turn to? He turned to the Lord. Who do you turn to when you are in distress?

Vs 7-17 talks about the strong physical action that the Lord took on David’s behalf (you should read it – it is better than an action packed thriller!). As a result of this action, David writes in verse 18: He delivered me from my strong enemy, and from them which hated me: for they were too strong for me.

Now, who doesn’t need a God like that? We all do – and there is only One True God. Like I said earlier, with Him, all things are possible. God can move in your situation and will move in your situation when you have faith and confidence in Him to keep the right perspective. Do not faint. Praise Him and cry out to Him in your distress. Stay righteous and holy before the Lord. Do not give in to the games of the wicked.

There are 50 verses within this psalm and I encourage you to read them all. I have only very lightly touched the surface by exposing just a few of the verses. But, there is soooo much more to be discovered here. Therefore, I deeply encourage you to read this psalm in its entirety. Then, you will cling to the Lord like never before. When you are going through the situations that come in your life, you will be able to say:


For by thee I have run through a troop; and by my God have I leaped over a wall.


To God be the Glory!!!