Disciplined Disciplines - Closing Post

We could go on and on about what it takes to make it the Christian journey successful. We could trade insight and testimonies about this thing and that, to God be the glory. But the main driver of your success is your relationship with God.

I named this series “Faith and the Long Haul” because I wanted you to recognize that going through difficulties and long stints of unpleasant experiences does not mean that God has abandoned you. In fact, He will never abandon you. Instead, when the road gets rough, the spiritual disciplines that you have within you should increase – just like that long road.

I like the spiritual disciplines because they give me a written out place to “start” in deepening my relationship with God. But, they are not set in stone – no one author’s list is the end-all-be-all list for every single believer. But, that’s the beauty of it. I will say that every list, at minimum, must include prayer and mediation on the Word of God – which of course also includes reading the Word of God. I also think fasting should be included. If Jesus needed to pray then we surely need to pray. If Jesus read and knew the Word of God, then surely we need to read and know. If Jesus fasted, then surely we need to do the same.... You see where I am going. If we are going to be like Jesus, then we are going to have to discipline ourselves to be that way.

I want to end this post by saying that I believe that each of you has what it takes to endure the road set before you. Have Faith. Take confidence in knowing that God loves you and wants the best for you. The best is God Himself. If we will take and learn of Him, and truly become His disciples then we can endure, even as Paul, looking at each turn in the road not as a hindrance or disappointment, but as another opportunity to give the Lord His due praise.

May God continue to bless you!