Stop and look around

I wonder how often we stop and just take a look at our surroundings. It is so easy to just get on the go and get involved with this good thing and that good thing and before long, we are so wrapped up and intertwined in things that we do not have a moment to just stop and observe. I wrote a while back about what happened when I stopped to observe the condition of my house – it was pretty junky and in need of a deep clean. But, our spiritual lives and get that way too.

We spend time at this study and that study just taking in knowledge. We read this good book and that good book and store it all up for a rainy day or for that conversation that arises where we can share what we know.

But the problem with this is that there is no active change in us while we are gathering. Think of it this way – if all we ever did was gather food and never cooked it and never ate it, we would still be hungry. Some of us gather spiritual knowledge and never partake of it for our own lives.

There is nothing wrong with gathering knowledge. But joy is in the application of what we have learned. It is in that application of that knowledge that we have a true experience with God. That’s where we develop intimacy with Him.

So, on this day, when I look out my window and see the rain coming down, replenishing this drought-laden city, I rejoice at the hand of the almighty. He knows just how to send everything in its time. I rejoice and think of God because I’ve taken time, particularly this past week, to get to know Him a little better. I’m beginning to apply His word to my life in a brand new way.

It is my prayer today that you will stop and look around at your surrounds. Take it in for what it is. And, then dig deep into a rewarding fellowship with our God. It’s worth the effort!

One Response so far.

  1. Kathy says:

    It's so much easier to just learn, isn't it? That's within our realm of control. But it's so much harder to apply, because that mostly means surrendering areas of our life we may not want to let go of. Thanks for the inspiration.