Prayer on the Hill




One of my greatest joys in childhood was watching School House Rock. My favorite song was “I’m Just a Bill.” Do you remember that? Here are the lyrics so that you can sing along in your mind as you read the rest of this post: 
I'm just a bill.
Yes, I'm only a bill.
And I'm sitting here on Capitol Hill.
Well, it's a long, long journey
To the capital city.
It's a long, long wait
While I'm sitting in committee,
But I know I'll be a law someday
At least I hope and pray that I will,
But today I am still just a bill.
Cool right? Check out www.schoolhouserock.tv to see more. So, since I was in the Capital City, I walked the mile to the Hill from my hotel. Now, I had lots of plans while I was making my way to the Hill. I knew that once I got there, I would stand on the stairs to the Capitol and sing “I’m Just a Bill.” 
But alas, security had other plans.

There would be no singing on the steps. Booooooooooo! 
I was still satisfied in some way. I sat on the bench at the bottom of the steps - and to the right. And, I prayed. I prayed for the lawmakers who are responsible for creating laws that govern our society. I prayed for God’s will to be done and that partisanship and political agendas be exposed and destroyed. I know that it was a lofty prayer. And, at the same time, it was kinda heavy. But I prayed it anyway with the fullness of sincerity that was in my heart. 
I didn’t get to sing my song - but I prayed. And, I have to believe that the prayer was a bit more significant than just the song. 

Copyright Beams of Light Ministries