Victory is Ours

Oh yeah! It’s Friday! And, despite the fact that my football team failed to make any points whatsoever last night, it’s still all joy today for me. My prayers are with our new quarterback that took a knee to the helmet and is in the hospital with a concussion. Maybe this injury will be used as motivation for improvement. I thank God that his situation was not worse. The team seemed to be injury-prone even before the season kick-off but I am still hopeful that they will have a good season.

Now, onto the history-making event last night! The Democrats nominated Barack Obama as their candidate for the presidency of the United States of America. I watched the Live event and couldn’t believe it. I am happy to see the progress made in our country. I think about Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. and the marches and rallies that were made for equality. I think about the segregation that dominated our country – and well, to see a few decades later the product of a bi-racial union be nominated to lead this country – well, words cannot really describe how I feel. Maybe, just maybe, change is coming to America.

So, why talk about football and the Democrats? Well, both events happened last night. But, more importantly, they both speak to struggle. NC State struggled last night and was ultimately shut out at the end of the game. African-Americans have struggled in this country in the past due to the color of their skin, but last night we saw an African-American accept the presidential nomination. To me, it tells me a story – to never give up and to keep pressing. I’m not speaking of doing things on our own – with our own might – like NC State tried to do. I’m talking about the continuation of leaning on the Lord and pressing on when things do not seem to be progressing. With God on our side, victory is ours, no matter the actual outcome. Ask any elderly African-American who endured the civil rights injustices.

So, today, I am going to have a great day. I’m going to work hard at work and do the necessary things for my job. After which, I will complete my errands and be glad. I have much to do today, but I will keep pressing and know that God is with me, and through Him, I too can be victorious. That’s the wonderful thing about God – with Him, no matter who you are – you too can be victorious! Oh, how I love Him today!!!