Magnificent Dead Sea Scrolls


Last weekend I went to our Museum of Natural Science. They had the Dead Sea Scrolls on display. If you are anything like me, the first time you heard the term "Dead Sea Scrolls" you were a bit baffled.

What does that mean? Scrolls found in the Dead Sea? Impossible?

Well, the Scrolls were actually found in the caves of cliffs which share common terrain with the Dead Sea. Ah...the light comes on.

As you will find out (or already know) for 2,000 years, these caves in the Judean Desert were the resting place of hundreds of scrolls and fragments. It was only in 1947 that Bedouin goat-herders found the first scrolls - at that time having no idea of the significance of their discovery. From that time until 1956, 900 manuscripts were discovered. AMAZING!

Dating from 250 BC to 68 AD, these scrolls represent nearly all of the books of the Old Testament. Check the dates - they predate any previously know copies of Biblical texts by more than 1,000 years. WOW! WOW! WOW!

Of course, this is significant to me because I love the Word of God so much. Many of you know that I have several copies of Bibles around my house in different translations. (I know - could have saved some money by just using the computer, but I just love to HOLD the Word of God in my hands.) But, I couldn't get a hold of those Dead Sea Scroll exhibits - they are in pressurized chambers with security on the display boxes. You don't want to be touching those...just look closely with your hands in your pockets or on your side. Pretend that you are 8 again, shopping with your mom in the glassware section of her favorite department store, who constantly tells you "Don't touch anything!" Well, maybe that was just my mom...

So anyway, for those reading the blog from North Carolina, you have until December to go and see the Dead Sea Scrolls exhibit at the museum. But, don't wait - go today!

One note on that too - I went on a Saturday - it was crowded - so if you can go at an off-period, you may get more out of it and more time to bask in the mystery and wonder that are the Dead Sea Scrolls. And, if you go, leave your camera at home. Picture taking is not allowed. But, of course, you can buy souvenirs that have great pictures. So, bring a little spending cash.

One Response so far.

  1. Kathy says:

    That is WAY cool! I've been fascinated by the Dead Sea Scrolls ever since I first heard about them and I bet it felt pretty neat for your to be standing right in front of them. Thanks for sharing that!