Disappointment, Pity-Partys and Pits

Can I tell you something? Last Friday, I was disappointed. Something happened in a way that I really did not expect nor care for. As I mumbled my way through my disappointment, God caused me to know something about Himself. God never disappoints. He never fails. He always keeps his promises.

I began to look back over my life. I began to think back at the many disappointments in my life. Unfortunately, those disappointments are not hard to recall. I remember them – and some I remember rather explicitly. But now I have a choice to make.

I can either linger in the past disappointments or I can gather myself and get up from the pit. Now, a few years ago, I would have just set up camp to have my own brand of “pity-party.” And, boy, could I really through a pity party. I was really good at it.

But, now, I know that the longer my pity party lasts, the longer I deny and lock myself out from the power of God. When I through the pity party, I praise the situation and the evil forces at work in that situation. But when I decide that no matter what, I’m getting up from that situation, then I glorify the Father.

I realize that all my help comes from the Lord. He is my source and my sustainer. He is my strength and my shield. He is a “party” all in Himself when I get lost in Him.

Therefore now I realize, the victory is neither in the disappointment nor the pity-party, but the victory is in taking the hand of the Lord and lifting myself up out of the ditch – or pit – depending on how far we’ve fallen.

Dear readers, my admonishment to you today, is to get up out of that pit of disappointment and get on with your true purpose – praising God. And, when you do this, you will find that serving the Lord is more rewarding than anything else on Earth.