Show Compassion

I struggled with whether or not to post this blog today.

I cannot believe that I did it.

I cannot believe that I watched it all – in utter horror – for the last portion – like watching a car wreck...

But, alas, I must confess – once again, I watched the Bachelor on ABC last night.

I know, I need prayer.

Last night was the final episode of where he would pick from the harem – I mean, he would pick from the two remaining women that he’d been swapping DNA with. And, well, my flesh wanted to know who he would choose. So, barring better judgment, I watched. I told you I need prayer!

He chose Melissa and I have to admit, I was happy about that. She seemed to genuinely love Ty (the son) and Jason Mesnick (the father). And, she seemed to be needing somebody to love. I could see her pouring herself into that relationship full force. And, maybe that was the problem.

The bachelor, Jason, claimed that he was in love with both women. You cannot pour straight if you’re trying to pour into two vessels. Don’t believe me? Try to pour water into two glasses side by side. All you get is a mess – if the spout is too narrow, the other glass gets missed completely. And, that’s what happened last night.

A shocker – carefully planned by ABC. (You can’t make me believe that they didn’t know about this otherwise they would have had a full audience on the ATFR show).

Anyway, Jason realized that he would rather be with the woman he didn’t chose – Molly. Molly was the one he dumped in New Zealand; also the one that said he was making a mistake that he would live to regret. Seemed arrogant to me, but nobody asked me. Anywho... apparently, Jason agreed because last night, on public television, he breaks up with Melissa and asks Molly for another chance.

I’m disgusted – with myself for watching and with ABC for televising such garbage. I’m hurting for Melissa, who just reminds you all things cute and snuggly – she’s so friendly and warm.

Why, oh why, did I let my flesh drag me into such a mess? In my humble opinion, that nobody asked me for; Mesnick is a mess. Melissa deserves better.

I just don’t like to see people willfully hurt and damaged – and made to be a public spectacle. Now, I know that they sign up for it; it’s a reality show; I shouldn't be watching the garbage anyway; the harem approach to dating is not godly, etc etc. I know all of this but I do still believe that compassion was lacking last night. You don't have to be a christian to be decent. Right is right.

It's better that Jason broke it off with Melissa if he still wanted to pursue a relationship with Molly but he still needed to show some compassion. I am sure he has it in him somewhere – afterall, he’s so compassionate towards his son. The whole thing seemed out-of-character for the character that was portrayed on the show.

We all have to make hard decisions, but I ask of you this one thing: when a hard decision rests on your desk, please make sure to wrap your words and your actions in compassion. The decision itself is painful enough – think of others and make the delivery as “gentle” as the situation allows.

Show a little compassion today: Let’s all pray for all those involved, particularly the ones that were so hurt by all of this drama. And, pray for the families as well such that they are able to help those hurt to pick up the pieces and move higher.

One Response so far.

  1. Anonymous says:

    I watched this past season of the bachelor too. I pray for all the participants on this program. They are all in search of a fast hook-up or real love. I love the example of comparing the final episode of the bachelor to pouring water into two glasses. You are exactly right with comparing the two. Everyone including myself want real love (marriage). However, I chose to be fill with God's word and allow Him to fill me with His Holy Spirit and bring my mate to me. I have yet to see this show have anyone to choose an christian in the final episodes.

    Veronica