No Comfort Zones!

You will be happy to note that I will not be discussing anything “bachelor-esque” today. The drama has played out all over the internet with emails flying etc etc. Now, I feel compelled to move back to all things spiritual, so-to-speak.

Tonight, I will teach a class on spiritual disciplines. I like this class because every time I stand to teach it, God grows me up a little bit more. I like that.

But my enemy does NOT.

I have recently come to the realization that just as I begin to prepare my materials, I have to really fight the enemy so that I can be disciplined enough to study. Previously, this was not an issue but the more familiar that I got with the workbook, the harder it became for me to stay on top of my studies.

Yet, week-by-week, by God’s grace alone, I was equipped. He always has a response waiting – an instruction to deliver through this flawed vessel. God is amazing!

This calls attention to two things called comfort and familiarity. When we get comfortable and familiar with something or even someone, we let our guards down. We don’t resist as much as we used to or we are not on the defensive as much as we used to be. We feel safe and established.

Can I give you a warning here?

Don’t get too comfortable, no matter how familiar you think you are with something or someone.

When we get comfortable, we start relying on ourselves more. We say “Oh, I got it.”

Danger! Danger!

In my case, I could wrongly take the stance of “Oh, I got it” when it comes to teaching my class. I, in error, could stand in front of the class simply because I am familiar enough with the course work and do a decent job for my flesh, but my God would not be pleased.

God is not calling me to comfort. (you either)

Instead, He wants me to rely on Him for every single class – for every answer and/or response and for everything that concerns the instruction of His children. When we think we can do it, we deny God the glory that is due Him because we are too busy taking credit ourselves.

So, watch yourselves. There’s nothing wrong with knowing something or knowing how to do something, but don’t get so comfortable in your doing that you forget what He has done in and through you – and where you get your ability from. God gets the glory. Amen!