Barnabas' PMA

I ran into one of my co-workers in the hallway today that spoke briefly with me about having PMA. To that, I replied, “What’s PMA?” It was a guy so my first thought was that he meant to say PMS. But, after listening to him, he really meant PMA. It stands for “positive mental attitude.”

On my way back to my desk, I pondered this PMA. My co-worker was talking about PMA as it related to my drink choice not being available in the drink machine. (that serves me right because I am supposed to only be drinking water right now). Anyway, as I was saying, having a positive mental attitude is essential to having a positive day. I am re-reading Joyce Meyer’s Battlefield of the Mind, and I am sure that Joyce would agree that having a positive mental attitude is important.

Back to my point – I was on my way back to my desk when none other than BARNABAS popped up in my mind. Do you know Barnabas?

Barnabas was an early church leader and did evangelism ministry with the Apostle Paul for a season. His name means “Son of Encouragement.” He spent much time encouraging others. In fact, Barnabas was instrumental in getting others to accept/trust Paul after his conversion. And even after Paul and Barnabas split ways, after a disagreement over John Mark**, Barnabas still loved those around him and he was faithful to his given assignments. Because their relationship “ended” well and they responded to each other in a mature way, Paul and Barnabas worked together in ministry later.

It is always good to keep a positive PMA. Barnabas kept a positive mental attitude throughout this ministry work – even during the difficult times. And, that’s the challenge to us today. As believers, a PMA is required. So, I challenge you today to be an encourager like Barnabas and get your PMA-on!

Sanya


**John Mark accompanied Paul and Barnabas on a missionary trip and later John Mark deserted them/failed to continue on with them. As Paul and Barnabas prepared for another journey, John Mark wanted to go. Paul did not want him to go with them and Barnabas, always eager to grant another chance, wanted John Mark to be allowed to accompany them. The disagreement was settled by Paul and Barnabas agreeing on a compromise. They split the work with Paul taking Silas with him to Syria and Barnabas taking John Mark with him to Cyprus.