When the Answer is "No!"

"No!"



I don’t like the word "no."

It’s so definite.

So final.

But sometimes in life, we hear “no” whether we like it or not.


“No!, don’t touch that, it’s hot.”
“No!, come back this way.”
“No!, you’re not the apple of their eye.”
“No!, it’s not for you this time.”

"No" takes its variety of shapes and forms. But the sting of “no” remains the same.


When my godson was visiting, I had to tell him “no.” He wanted to touch the Aqua-globe that waters my plant. I, being the purchaser of said item, knew it was glass. I knew it was not a toy for him to play with. So, being responsible, I told him “no.”


He didn’t like my telling him “no.” He poked out his lip and scrunched up his face. He made a fake noise that resembled a cry (and watched for my reaction) but when I told him to come to me, he did. I picked him up, loved on him and told him that it may hurt him. I gave him a final hug and one of his own toys. Lighting McQueen to be exact. He left my lap happy. He never touched the Aqua-globe again.


Sometimes God does the same thing with us.


Sometimes, the things we want are not right for us. Sometimes, the very things that we desire are the very things that will utterly upset our world as we know it. So God tells us “no.” He, being the Creator of all things, knows what’s best for us. So, being sovereign, He tells us “no.” And then He invites us into His lap for comforting and encouragement before sending us back out with to focus our attention on things He approves.

When we listen to His “no”, we stay out of trouble. But if we venture out beyond His “no” then we invite trouble.


I hope that you will journey with me this week as I explore this two letter word. Look for more blog posts this week on the subject of "no!"



Copyright Beams of Light Ministries