Give Me a Reason

Oft times we want a reason. We say to others "give me a reason why I should xyz." We also point this question to God in the midst of our frustrations. We say "give me a reason why I should continue to follow You." I know you may not admit to this. But, it's okay. I know it to be true for some.

I know that following Christ can be difficult at times, especially when our flesh would much desire to be doing something else. I know that to take up our cross daily and bear the weight of it all seems a daunting task at times. I know. And, I sympathize with you. But, I cannot let you off the hook.

If I look around, I can see many people seeming to prosper in the things that I lack and am waiting on God to grant me. But, I'm no fool. God never called me to compare myself with others. The enemy wants me to focus on what they have and what I lack. But, God has already told me that I am fearfully and wonderfully made. I am unique because I am His workmanship. My path is different - everyone's path is different and uniquely theirs. That's what makes it their story.

So, I know what it is to look around and be tempted to compare but we have to resist that temptation. I cannot let you off the hook. We have to persevere in Christ. You want a reason to keep the faith, pick any of these:

1. There is no greater reward than Heaven
2. As Christians, we belong to Him
3. In belonging to Him, we are to obey His commands
4. He knows best for our lives and has left instructions for us to live abundantly
5. He is God. He doesn't have to explain Himself to us.
6. He has sent us a Comforter
7. He is a very present help
8. He is a wonderful counselor and friend
9. He is the Great I AM
10. He foresees.

I really could have stopped with five - He is God. We don't question Him. We obey Him. So, He does not have to give us a reason. We need to supply ourselves with reasons found in the Bible.

Why do we press on? Because of His sacrifice.
Why do we press on? Because He is our example.
Why do we press on? Because of His great love for us.
Why do we press on? Because He is our Father.

I press on because at the end of my race, I want to hear , well done. I press on because in doing so, I develop a track record with God. And, as result, my faith increases.

And, that's the key. When our faith develops strong and mighty, we no longer have to ask God for a reason for anything. We just trust Him.

3 Responses so far.

  1. Kathy says:

    Hi Sanya! I agree--number five is really all it should take for us. When we couple that with his unwavering love, we can fully trust Him. Have a Happy Thanksgiving!

  2. Anonymous says:

    Fresh question for me to ponder on this subject is "Are we willing to give God thanks for things we may never have the privilege of understanding?"
    --paraphrased from Dr. Helen Roseveare, former missionary in Congo

    Kristie

  3. Anonymous says:

    I love the 10th reason.
    About a month ago I got a trafic ticket for "failure to see." I did not see a car coming quickly around a curve and I turned in front of it. We did not hit each other but, It scared me so bad. I did not see that car but somehow the grace of God covered me and protected me from harm. I am so glad that I serve a God who forsees. He sees all and knows all even when we don't now that's a reason to keep the faith.
    keep up the writing Sanya
    Makingfootprints