Piercing the Darkness

Good afternoon my bloggy friends,

I do apologize for not being able to be with you yesterday. It’s been crazy for me the past few days. Last week, you’ll recall that I had a troubling week. That is to say that trouble followed me around. I could not get any relief. It was as if the enemy put my picture on his dart board and instructed his imps to target me. But, praise belongs to God; I walked with the aid of God, through the valley of torrential rainstorms, some lighting and a bunch of hail. It’s still overcast in some areas, but on the horizon, I see the sun shining through. So, I’m going to be alright.

In reflection, I can see God’s hand of protection over me the entire week. He stayed my nerves; He kept me calm; and He whispered over me as I slept peacefully. My heart was troubled and He reminded me of the Word within my heart that I had hidden there for such a time as this. It was well with my soul, despite the turbulence right outside my window. Praise God.

God was even good enough to provide a visual. He knows that I’m a visual learner and to see a picture is worth more than a thousand words to me. It helps to understand and draw in my mind a meaning that lasts. The visual He gave me was once again, in the midst of worship on Sunday morning, about five minutes after I wrote in my notebook “blog about piercing the darkness”, He turned out the lights in our church. We sat in the darkness while the children’s choir, sang their song of worship to the Lord. Can you see it with me – children are generally afraid of the dark. But these children sang their little hearts out – bursting out for Jesus.

Point taken: If the children can face their fears and still worship, then I can too.

The Pastor got up to preach. He took his Bible. It was dark. Only the emergency lighting “pierced the darkness.” He, of course, had prepared a sermon for that day but in the midst of the situation at hand, God started revealing a new sermon to Him. You see, even in the darkness, he took a Bible that he couldn’t see the print thereof, but yet, in taking that Bible, it was like taking the Lord and confessing aloud that we cannot make it without the Lord. And when He opened His mouth to preach that message, God turned the lights right back on!

Point taken: Even in the midst of darkness, when we make a decision for God, to go ahead with His plan instead of our plan, He will be right there, guiding us with His light. Directing our paths. Leading us to Himself. Don’t panic.

You see, there were no notes to preach from. The Pastor flowed in the Spirit of the living God. And, well, it was simply amazing. God spoke to me. And, He spoke to so many others.

Darkness comes. There is no need for fear when it comes. Instead, we must be a people who make a decision that through the darkness, we will praise Him and we will trust Him to provide exactly what we stand in need of.

My heart is full of praise and thanksgiving. For the Lord, He is good! And, His mercy endures forever. As His child, you have access to His light. Won’t you use it to pierce any darkness in your life?