Even Still, I Praise Him!

Grief is a funny creature. I know – grief and funny really don’t belong in the same sentence. But, sometimes I think that maybe they do. You see, yesterday, grief hit me upon the news that my friend would be taken off of life support. It hit me while driving to work. It hit me while telling my prayer partners AT work. (Thank God for prayer partners on the job). It hit me when I was preparing to take food to the family. But, when I got to the house and saw the truck that would never again be driven by my friend; when I walked past the couch where my friend would always find his perfect position on the couch; when I walked through the house and he wasn’t there, my grief took on a new level. But, I didn’t cry. I didn’t fall back into the activities of earlier that day where my eyes could find no dry place. Instead, I began to reflect on the good times. The good Lord flooded me with memories – which were funny and made me laugh out loud. And before long, we were all laughing. Grief is indeed a funny creature.

I’m thankful that we got an opportunity to share memories and laugh amongst ourselves last night. Because I am confident that the days to come will be much tougher. I am confident that at times, in that house, the occupants will find no rest and grief will not be as kind. I am confident that in the still and quiet moments, when friends and family resume their normal activities, that there will be weeping and sorrow. But even more than that, I am confident that God is near, and He will stay close surrounding that family with His love and His protection. He will be their midnight companion. He will be the One that they turn to. He will be the One that will soothe their hearts during this time. They are walking through the valley right now but I rest assured in knowing that God is able to keep them and He will do just that.

I know that this has not been a fun and frilly two-weeks at my blog, but it’s not been a fun and frilly two-weeks in this faith walk for me. Life is like that sometimes. But, please continue to drop in on me and I really do appreciate your responses and emails. The storms winds are still blowing, but this one thing I know - God is with me. And just like my friend’s family, He will never leave me nor forsake me. I find peace in that knowing, even in the midst of this storm. Even still, I praise Him!

Have a great weekend!