Different World Views


I got my second special delivery letter from my sponsored child. This letter came much quicker than I expected but I think it was due to the Christmas holiday. I'm trying to calibrate my expectations to that 2-3 month cycle. Yet, every time I think of her, I smile. 


I'm happy to hear that she is doing so well. She takes the time to tell me all about her family - that's pretty neat huh? Hopefully, as our relationship develops, we will learn many things about each other. For such a small amount per month (in the grand scheme of things) this child will now have an enhanced future - one where she will know the Word of God and where her basic needs will be provided for. 


Sometimes it seems to me that we don't care enough for each other. We spout off at the mouth at each other so easily. And if we are not running off at the mouth, being verbally ugly - like some radio talk show hosts sitting in cushy atmospheres drinking too expensive coffee - casting their rhetoric to their dubious listening audience - then we are finding other ways to harm each other. The thing about words is that they show what's really in your heart. And if that's ugly...well... I'm sure that's not the way God envisioned for the family of God to behave. Pile onto that, the way we abuse each other. Look at all the fake charities that have popped up in the midst of the Crisis in Haiti. We steal from each other; we hurt each other and with each blow, we move further away from God's design for us. 


My world and my sponsored child's world have different realities. Some days I think she may just have it better. Her world is far different. Yes, they are, by our standards, less fortunate; but because they have the right focus and the right level of respect and courtesy for other human beings - well, they may just be richer -in the right way. 


It is my prayer that we will all learn how to treat one another and that we become more careful with our  words towards one another. That we go back to the teachings of old to treat your neighbor as yourself and to esteem others higher than yourselves. Maybe, just maybe, we'll get back there - some day. 




Copyright Beams of Light Ministries