The Book of Eli

It’s only two weeks into the new year and I’m already worn out. Lots going on. So, on Saturday, I decided to purposefully go rogue from my duties and do something fun. I like movies, so I made a call, and before you know it, me and two of my friends were seated at the movie theatre, prepared to watch “The Book of Eli.”


There’s lots of descriptions and internet reviews on this movie. Some like it. Some don’t. But, that’s the way of the world these days. Everybody has a certain say - and they can publicize and promote and post their view - much like I’m doing right now. 


I have to tell ya - I really liked the movie. I like action and a few good fight scenes. I know - you probably didn’t see that one coming. But, it’s all graphics and fancy choreography that makes everything look real. Obviously I wouldn’t really want to see somebody be beheaded...um...gross...ewe. But, the length that Eli would go to in order to protect the Book is more than what some would do. 


This movie has some good themes running through it and some great messages as well. For Believers of Jesus Christ, I think you may find this movie a worthwhile 2 hour break from your schedule. Some messages I walked away with were these: 


  1. Though many seek to destroy it, and may even temporarily succeed in limiting its availability, the Word of God lives forever. 
  2. If you hide the Word in your heart, no one can take it from you. 
  3. Good in the hands of evil profits no one. 


So, escape your routine for two hours and check out “The Book of Eli.” Then you too can post your opinions and tell your friends to check it out too!...or not....freewill and all. 


Speaking of freewill - emphasis on "free" - Happy Martin Luther King Jr Day. I pray that on this day, you will not just think of it as a day off from work but that you will think of ways to serve the community, or if you are like me and will be working, spend some time praying about the progress that we've made in the areas of social justice (thank you Lord) and also pray about the progress that is yet to be made. God is able to send us everything we stand in need of ...

Copyright Beams of Light Ministries