C.O.L.D. Weather Memories

Cold weather reminds me of hot chocolate, thick blankets, fuzzy socks and travel.


When visiting certain climates at certain times of the year, say winter, you learn to pack accordingly.


-When I visit Boston in the winter, I make sure to pack several layers, my fuzzy socks, sensibly warm shoes, and my big winter coat. 


- When I visit New York, the same attire applies, but I usually leave the fuzzy socks at home because in New York, I'm going to be out and about and not cooped up in my hotel room keeping cozy with my laptop. Can you imagine fuzzy socks peeking out of my shoes while pounding the pavement of New York. Ummm, no. Not cute. 


- When I visit Germany in the winter, I will often check my bag so that I can make sure that I've packed enough thick socks and thermals to keep me warm for the duration of my stay. 


For the past week, I have not traveled. I've been right here - fuzzy socks and all, dealing with the cold weather that has hunkered down on my state. This weather is abnormal - it normally does not stay this cold, for this long. They say it's due to some winter storm affecting most of the nation. The midwestern states are getting whipped with snow storms and the like and we are even looking down the face of a snow storm too. Okay, snow dusting...but you never know.


All of this has me thinking about good ole Germany. Afterall, I was just there three weeks ago. I thought I might share some pictures with you. So, slip on your fuzzy socks, and cozy up to your computer with your hot chocolate.


If I'm recalling right, I think I took this picture in Munich when I got off the plane. I was changing terminals and to do that - I had to take a stroll outside. Yay for me! Nothing like getting a cold burst of air to wake you up after twisting and turning "all night" in an airplane seat, "sleeping" in a cabin full of strangers. But, it's all good. I've never had any problems and I pray that I never will. I pray that you won't either when you travel! Oh - side note, isn't McDonald's EVERYWHERE?!! Geez. Oh - the white tent you see is a vendor station but since it was 8am there, the vendors weren't quite ready for primetime yet. My body wasn't either. It was thinking - why are we running around Germany at 2am? Whose plan was that? Oh yeah - mine.


Okay, next picture.  I was in the next terminal, strolling around. Afterall, I did have a three-hour layover. This advertisement is for rental cars. It's so neat to see so many cars that are "luxury" in the US, performing as "working" cars in Germany. All the taxis that I took on my trip were Mercedes. Of course, they weren't all outfitted in leather, but hey, they were Mercedes. Oh la la.


This is a shot while I was in Nuremberg. This entire side of the hotel was in lights. Kinda neat. I took this coming back from the Christkindlesmart (Christmas Market).


Amazing enough, every time I go to the Christkindlesmart, I never buy ornaments. Instead, I go for the cookies and the gluwein mugs. And no, I do not drink the gluwein - though several upon several people do.


Outside of one of the galleria stores, this little musical group was doing their thing! They acted like we weren't all freezing to death. It was C.O.L.D and raining, but they played and played - Santa hats and all.


I love Christmas songs. And, it is true - it gets you in the mood for shopping. The stores were crowded but I managed to come out with a few bars of German chocolate.



Oh the pictures! They remind me of the C.O.L.D. I guess I'm a warm-weather-loving girl to my very soul! Which is why I have to frown even as I look out of my own window to the crisp cool gray sky - winter weather. Bah Humbug. Come on warm temperatures and the wonderful time of year that is Spring and Summer. Is that asking too much? I'll just have to wait a few more months.




I'm hopeful though. Maybe one day soon, the weather will turn a corner and behave the way that it's supposed to for my region instead of the way that it has been. Sure, it's supposed to be cold in my state in January - but not this cold. Clearly there has been a miscalculation somewhere! But, to see the benefit in all of this is to realize that this extreme cold does a good job of killing off those pesky bugs and viruses. So, it's not all bad.



So, now that I have strolled down memory lane, fuzzy-socks and all, I'm going to wrap this post up. It's a little longer than my usual, but hey, one long post every once in a while is good for me. Keeps my fingers limber and my brain flowing with something other than my usual. Hopefully you weren't bored. Instead, I hope you enjoyed the glimpse of what I saw while I ventured about in Nuremberg.


I hope you had a great week - the first week of a new decade in a new year and I pray that you have an excellent weekend!


Signed,
Your fuzzy-sock wearing, hot-chocolate sipping, warm-weather-loving friend,
Copyright Beams of Light Ministries