Jordan - the Created, my Beloved

I believe that God finds value in all living things. Each living thing has a purpose and each living thing is good – simply because God created it. Genesis backs me up on this. So, it is with a heavy heart that I report that Jordan, my beloved fish of 2.5 years, has died.

Now, some of you may be ready to trip out that I am posting with a heavy heart about a pet fish. But, that’s the difference between valuing the created because of the Creator and being casual about the created. I’m not indifferent to Jordan’s death. I do care. And, I believe that God cares too.

Jordan was a happy fish. He brought me tons of joy. He swam around in his tank with authority and devoured every good meal of yummy bloodworms and Betta bites. Towards the end of his life, he lost part of his vision and some of his color – I told him he was growing gray – an old man in fish years. During the last week, he also lost most of his appetite. I knew his time was coming and prayed that God’s will be done and that I would be able to accept it.

Every morning when I bound down my steps, bellowing out his name, he would greet me by the same side of the tank. But alas, not anymore. In yesterday’s mist and rain, I held a private service for Jordan and committed him to the earth.

I’m posting this private moment as a public plea for you to take time to value every created thing, pet fish or otherwise, if for no other reason than to reverence the Creator.

Beams Blog Footer 3