Transatlantic Comparisons

I’ve recently had the opportunity to experience the difference between fare classes on a Transatlantic flight. And, let me tell you, having now experienced both, there is quite a contrast. Even in things that are provided to both fare classes, the higher fare has a higher quality product – even down to the type of toothbrush. Seriously.

In the main cabin – economy class, there are lots of people. We are herded in like cattle in cramped quarters. Our food, served on and in plastic, is light on extravagance and heavy on salt. The flight attendant’s goal is simply to distribute the goods quickly and move on to the next awaiting customer. Ah, but in the higher fare class, well, that’s another story. The food is tasty, consisting of multiple courses. It is served on real plates with real glassware and real flatware with a linen tablecloth. The flight attendant’s goal is to serve the food attending to your every request. The cabin is much less crowded and the flight attendant-to-customer ratio is much, much lower, ensuring personalized attention. Yes, in this cabin, they call you by your surname – Mr. So-and-so, and Ms. So-and-so.

We are all traveling to the same destination but how you get there can make a difference in your journey. I rested better in that reclined chair with a footrest much more so that I did basically sitting up, only reclining a few degrees in the economy cabin. I also have to say that I prefer the larger down pillow much better than that small cotton one…

Of course, I got to thinking about the spiritual application and this is my conclusion. Living in the world without Jesus as your Lord and Savior is like traveling economy class. We all have an appointed time to live and to die and unless the Lord comes back before our death, everyone will experience death. The paths that we take on this mutual destination makes a difference in where you will spend your eternity.

In the World, you are not treated with the special attention that comes with being a child of the King. Instead, you are like the rest of the world, getting by on plastic goods – not the real stuff. The enemy loves to serve you “plastic” hoping you will never experience the real life that is available to you when you accept the Lord Jesus. Life is in Christ. He’s the real thing.

The enemy wants to keep you surrounded with those who are enjoying the “plastic things” without knowledge and/or desire of the other things. He wants to keep you in the dark about what’s going on beyond the curtain that separates the fare differences. He doesn’t want you to taste the abundant life that’s available to you in Christ. But, oh, there’s a difference.

I’ve noticed in my own life that when I gave my life to Christ, a good number of my “plastic loving” friends fell away. I lost the “crowd” – but I had more individualized attention from God. My life had a higher quality to it when I accepted the Lord. In fact, if you’ll work with me on this analogy, accepting the Lord was like being moved up to the higher fare class – without paying the price. Jesus took care of that on Calvary.

So in exchange for worldly “plastic”, I received a finer quality of life. I now get to eat at the King’s table, being served multiple portions of grace and mercy, with the “real” things of life, and adorned with the finest of linens – afterall, I’m clothed in His righteousness. And, because now I have a relationship with Him, I’m assured personalized attention when I meet with Him in my prayer closet and throughout the day.

I hope that you can agree with me or at least see the comparisons between the life that we have apart from Christ and the life that is available to us when we give Him ours. It’s quite a contrast.