My Year of Possibility

It's almost 2009! I'm not one to rush away time but I for one am generally always happy to see the end of one year because it means the beginning of another, should God carry us forward throughout that last day of the year.

If I look back on 2008, so much has happened in our world.

  1. We, the US, are still at war. Now, Israel is fighting Hamas.
  2. We are in an economic recession. The global economy isn't faring much better.
  3. We are less spiritual as a nation than we have ever been - mixing the carnal with spiritual to suit our own interests.
  4. We are lovers of the seven deadly sins: pride, envy, anger, sloth, greed, gluttony and lust. I know you don't need an explanation for that one - just look around.

There has been so much publicity about those who have chosen the wrong path. Corrupt and dishonest people looking out for themselves. Those who try to demean the legislative process of this nation and those who simply don't care anymore about what is right and what is wrong.

But as I look over 2008, I don't just see where the enemy has ravaged and devoured some willing hearts. I see where people have held on to their faith and fought the good fight against evil - and they are winning!

  1. In the midst of his pain, a widow at my church still does much good for the community. I have been a recipient.
  2. In the midst of darkness, when doctors have called in the family to say their good-byes, God is still performing miracles - healing and restoring. I've seen this personally.
  3. Even in the midst of this big debate on global warming, each and every one of us is still drawing in the breath of life.
  4. You don't have to look far to see God in the small things. That's a blessing - He's not hiding from us.
  5. As long as we are here, we still have an opportunity to witness and share the good news of the gospel message, to save a generation and a people who know Him less and less over time, replacing Him with silly things and idols that cannot save their souls.

We could go on and on with listing the good things that God does for us - the chances that we have to win souls and share our faith - the opportunity afforded to us with every day that we receive. We can focus on the negative or we can focus on the now, realizing that God is in each moment and with Him, all things are possible.

God willing, I am going forward into 2009 with this one thing on my mind: All things are possible to him that believes. This has always been true, but for me, it is my personal focus for this year. I believe God. I've staked my life on it. He can change the unsavory and make them palatable again. I believe God. He can and He will.

What will you go into the new year believing?