A Wondrous Thing

If I used my secular vocabulary, I would say “it’s the weirdest thing!” You see, I have been thinking about someone I knew a few years ago. We studied God’s Word together and for a season, we worshipped at the same church. And then, at the direction of God, our season together in the same circles ended.

Yet, for the past week, she has haunted my memory. Popping up when I least expect her. Remembering her smile and thinking about the graceful way she always treated people. I think back to our times in Sunday School and Bible Study when she would give comprehensive answers. She had studied and examined the Scripture. I remember the prayer request that her husband asked for when she was studying for the bar exam – which she passed on the first try. I remembered thinking that she looks like a porcelain doll – delicate. But I also recall her tenacity to know the truth of God. Where did she go?

Panama.

I did a Google search for her and found her dwelling in Panama. She and her husband have set up a ministry there to help children. They left successful careers in the US to help those that have no voice. And all I can say is – “Praise God!” He called them out of their comfortable lives and placed them in a place where the living isn’t easy. And they obeyed for the love of God and children. It is not the “weirdest thing” that I’ve been thinking of her. It’s a “wondrous thing” because now, I know how to pray specifically for her. And I even sent her an email too – I’ll wait to hear back from her. But in the meantime, I simply tell the Lord “Thank You.”

I thank Him because He keeps giving me tangible examples of what ministry with abandon looks like. When will we all learn to live free of what we think is right and commit to God’s will and way? My friend is doing that; leaning not on her own resources, but instead depending completely on God. What an example!


Copyright Beams of Light Ministries