Loving God; Thanking Lysa

Bloggy-land people and Facebook folks – good news! I turned the last page last night on “Becoming More than a Good Bible Study Girl” by Lysa Terkeurst. You may recall my enthusiasm from my previous post.

I cannot think of a more open, honest and candid book that was not dubbed a memoir. And trust me, if it were a memoir, I would not have read it. I’m just not a memoir-reading kind of girl. Yet Lysa is able to tell her story in a compelling way that highlights the truth of the gospel. Bravo. Yes, I know more about Lysa, but more importantly, I know more about how God is so real in everyday situations and circumstances. In Lysa’s life, God is the priority – it’s clear. In keeping with her nature of giving, she shares through various trials and triumphs exactly how she has come to give Him reign. She wants Him to be the reader’s priority as well.

Being the visual person that I am, I love reading Lysa’s words. They jump off the page and beeline their way into my imagination. I’m there with her smelling the sweet fragrance of pineapples while learning those unlikely lessons (Part 2: Chapter 6); I am there with my vulnerabilities of wondering whether I am accepted (Part 3: Chapter 7); I too am there in Part 4, Chapter 10 “When My Ugly Comes Out” – and if you are honest, you’ve been there too! I’m there with my journal – when I have no words – and just simply need to listen. Oh – I’m all over this book! And as a result, I am experiencing God more – trusting Him (Chapter 15); finding Him (Chapter 16); and loving Him (Chapter 18).

For me, becoming more than just a good Bible study girl is essential. I am convinced the old saying of “people don’t care how much you know until they know how much you care” applies to God as well. He is not wowed by how many factual details I can absorb and retain in the brain that He made for me. He already knows how much I study. He is not impressed with how many Scriptures I can recite, chapter and verse. He knows my ability. But instead, I believe in my heart, that He is more interested in knowing whether or not I love Him with my whole heart; will my actions reflect my words? Do I love Him and love others? He wants to know if my heart pants for Him like David’s once did; will I be called a woman after His own heart? Do I thirst for Him like a deer pants for streams of water?

I’m convinced, more fully now, it’s not about how much I know; it is about how much I care.

Thank you Lysa for a sweet reminder to stay focused on what is most important; loving the Lord with my whole heart. For me, that’s becoming more than a good Bible study girl.

Beams Blog Footer 3