A decision to make as I wait

Yesterday was a blur. Responsibilities have their own unique way of making you accountable. Even when your watch says its time to do something else, you have to see your previous responsibility through. It’s a tough place to be and the pressure of running behind can be enormous. Yet, persistence is not optional.

My doctor had that struggle yesterday. He, unlike other doctors, is characteristically on time. I never wait more than 10 minutes – and therefore, I scheduled my day and activities following my doctor’s visit accordingly.

Well, I know you can smell the impending doom.

With five minutes to spare, I took my seat in the plush leatherette chair and patiently waited for my turn. Paging through my novel, I figured it best not to get too deeply involved because soon, I would have to tuck it away again. I would glide down the hall, happy and care-free because the scale would be my friend today and everything would run smoothly. Yep – that’s what I was thinking.

Here’s the reality.

I took my seat in the plush leatherette chair and patiently waited the first fifteen minutes for my turn. Paging through my novel, I was increasingly frustrated as I watched the minutes steal away. What was taking so long? This was atypical. Did they forget me? I inquired of the nurse if my name was forgotten. She told me no – that instead, my doctor was running behind schedule. Panic set in – what about my schedule? What about my plans? What about me!?!

I had a silent meltdown in my plush leatherette chair.

I would have to wait my turn – see this responsibility to my health through. I could not leave and the things that I planned would have to wait their turn. And, I would have to get a better attitude – quickly.

I purposed to have a good attitude even though when my nurse called me back, I had been sitting some 35 minutes – a far cry from the 10 that I’m used to. She inquired of me – and although my flesh wanted her to know about my sitting there for that long – I forced out a pleasantry. The battle began in my spirit of who would win – the “am” me or the “am becoming” me. You see, I “am” a sinner, saved by grace. And I “am becoming” more Christ-like daily – it’s a process.

Fortunately, the “am becoming” won out. Praise God!

I encouraged my nurse and my doctor as they explained the difficulties of their day. They apologized for my wait – a touch from their heart to mine that I was not expecting. Had I acted ugly, they may have withheld their apology. In all, I waited about an hour before seeing the actual doctor, but in that time, I got super comfy on the paper-layered, not-as-comfy-as-my-leatherette-chair table equipped with a comfy pillow and read my novel.

I was late for my other scheduled activities but somehow it was okay. I was accountable to my health; and kind to people that needed a touch. Responsibilities in life and in servanthood to God. So, even when your watch screams at you, don’t let its voice replace your own. Filter your voice with the kindness and grace that comes from God.


Beams Blog Footer 3