Blank Stares, Mute Responses

Is anybody home? That’s what I want to say sometimes when I am talking to someone and they seem to be ignoring me. Of course, this is bound to happen. Our minds are so full of “this and that.” It’s not that “this and that” aren’t important items – I wouldn’t dare to say that they are not. But, I am beginning to wonder, “is it worth the lack of communication?”

In our culture, we generally stay hooked up to something – whether it’s our computer, cell phone with texting capability or email – we are always communicating by typing. What happened to communication by speaking? I think we need more of it! Speak people!

I guess I’m still a little puzzled by the response that I got from one of my students recently. I asked the student a question that only he could answer and he simply went mute. He refused to answer me or the question that I posed to all of the other classmates. Maybe I should have asked him via text message. Maybe then I would have gotten a response.

All jokes aside, I am concerned about this student. I believe this student is just one of many suffering from the same syndrome. We need to be able to speak our convictions. The first step is a de-cluttering of “this and that” coupled with a right focus. Let me give you a quick example: Ask anyone in America what is going on with Britney Spears and you will get an answer and an opinion. Ask anyone about the Ten Commandments or God’s covenant promise to Abraham and you may just get that mute response that I got from my student.

This is just something to ponder. I’m finishing my lunch…and communicating by typing… Add me to the list. We all need prayer.