He is, We are Not

The plain vanilla, simple honest truth of the matter is this: we all make mistakes. We all fall short. We all fail to measure to up expectations. No one is exempt. No one is perfect.


After speaking with one of my dearest friends this morning, I thought that it would be worthwhile to post some verses that we can soak in when we are feeling a little down on ourselves. May it serve to remind us that God is perfect, we are not.


  • As it is written: "There is no one righteous, not even one.” (Romans 3:10) 
    •  I like this because to make sure we understand, Paul goes back and says “no, not one” (KJV) or here in the NIV, “not even one.” So simmer down. We all have issues that we have to work out, with the help of the Lord.
  • As for God, his way is perfect; the word of the Lord is flawless. He is a shield for all who take refuge in him. (2Samuel 22:31)
    • God is perfect, we are not.
    • God’s word is flawless
    • We can run to Him for protection – will you? Will you run to the safety of the Father?
  • 2Samuel 22:33 says It is God who arms me with strength and makes my way perfect.
    • If God did it, that means you didn't. Keep the right perspective.
  • Psalm 19:7 says The law of the Lord is perfect, reviving the soul. The statutes of the Lord are trustworthy, making wise the simple.
    • God's law has the power to revive our very souls
    • We should trust the Lord
    • It's in trusting Him that we become wise
  • Isaiah 26:3 says You will keep in perfect peace him whose mind is steadfast, because he trusts in you.
    • Notice the theme here? We have to trust the Lord.
    • When we trust Him, He keeps us in perfect peace! I don't know about you, but that sounds real good to me.
    • Keep a steadfast mind on God (steadfast in this context means firm direction, unwavering)
  • 2Corinthians 12:9 says But he said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me.
    • Yes it is. God's grace is sufficient for you - and for me.
    • God's power is made perfect when we step out of the way and can't do anything but rely on Him.
    • We give God glory when we admit that we need Him.
  • Hebrews 11:1 says Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see.
    • I bet you started saying that one when you read Hebrews 11:1. Everybody seems to be able to recite, but not everybody is able to fully believe it. Be one of the believers.
I hope that you will take the time to soak in these verses and always remember that it's not really about what we can do - it's all about what God can accomplish through us. Not our will but God's will. He's in perfect control. Rest in the peace that comes with the acknowledgement that God IS.



Copyright Beams of Light Ministries