Race for the Cure

This past weekend, I had the distinct privilege of being surrounded by 30,000 people united for the same cause – breast cancer research.


I participated in the Susan Komen foundation race. And, while I had not done all of the preparation that I needed to do for the race as far as stretching and being physically ready, I still walked the race during the fun run/walk. This year, my race-day buddy and I added a new member, so we walked together as three.


My church participated as well. God is so good to us. Even though we arrived separately, we still all managed to see each other and cluster up! Out of so many people, it’s a miracle that we found each other, but we did!


I was happy to be a part of the event. I participate in the race, not because of any personal history. I do it because I want to be around people who know what’s its like to survive and thrive. Each year, the survivors get their pictures taken. They are treated extra special. They have come through a battle victorious. And I, well, I like to see them smiling. I like to see how God has blessed them. And I also go to see how people who have lost loved ones are honoring their deceased. I know that sounds a bit strange, but to me, to see so many “in memory of” plastered about, is a celebration of that person’s life – their legacy, if you will. They have not lived their lives in such a way that they are easily forgotten. No, these folks left behind people that genuinely loved them – so much so, that they take the time to register, race and raise money for breast cancer research.


It’s all very touching to me. And that’s why, my intentions are, to make every race possible…even if I have to walk it!

If you are interested in donating to the Susan G. Komen foundation for breast-cancer research, please visit this link:


Copyright Beams of Light Ministries