Lord of the Harvest


We have to get them out of the ground before the first hard freeze. So, I made my way to Greensboro to dig the sweet potatoes out of the ground with my Grandddad. This is our third year doing such. This year, we had six rows to harvest. We share the garden tool and take turns digging the rows. It’s really just an excuse to hang out with each other while unearthing God’s creation. It’s one of the highlights of my year.

Last year, we didn’t have much of a harvest. My Grandmother would say it was because my Granddad didn’t cut back the vines. My Granddad would say that it was because it was so hot. The year before that, our first year, we had more sweet potatoes than we could stand. We were up to our elbows in sweet potatoes! So, this year, with the drought being soooo extreme, we didn’t plan on seeing much come out of the ground, but we enthusiastically went forward to see what the end would be.

Well, guess what?! We had some really huge sweet potatoes. My “prize winning” sweet potato that I personally dug out of the ground was 18 inches around. WOWZERS! And, of course, it got me to thinking about the goodness of the Lord. Here we are in an exceptional drought but God make provision for my Granddad and me. We had a fantastic time – each row just seeming to produce larger sweet potatoes. So, here’s my application: even when things around us seem dry and withering, with God on our side, there's something growing in places we cannot see, and as a result, we will be victorious - we can do what seems to be the impossible. With our Lord, we can emerge “big” and triumphant because we stayed connected to the vine – from which comes all of our strength and nourishment – just like those big ole sweet potatoes.

I praise God for allowing me to spend time with my Granddad, and I especially thank Him for being kind enough to show me once again that He is Lord of the Harvest – my provider and sustainer. He's got our times in His hands. So, let's stop looking at the external factors, and dig a little deeper in our relationship with Him. Our spiritual lives could produce "prize winning" results.

One Response so far.

  1. I love this" even when things around us seem dry and withering, with God on our side, there's something growing in places we cannot see, and as a result, we will be victorious - we can do what seems to be the impossible. With our Lord, we can emerge “big” and triumphant because we stayed connected to the vine – from which comes all of our strength and nourishment – just like those big ole sweet potatoes."

    Very true and good application.
    THanks for sharing. I bet that was a good time with Grand dad.
    Much love,
    Angela