Be Still

When our lives are hectic and running at full blast, we have just enough time to do the basics. We do not have the quality time to do reflective thinking – in fact, we are not thinking or being strategic – we are being tactical – we are movers and shakers getting things done. And, not to say that this is all bad. It is not. The things that we attempt for God will require us to invest some time – particularly if we want it to be done well for His glory. But, in our fast-paced lives, we can only cover the surface. God calls us to a deeper relationship with Him. He doesn’t want surface and superficial when it comes to relationship. He wants deep.

How then do we get there? By taking a moment to slow down the pace and be still. In my slowing down and having a moment to let my mind catch up, I noticed the cluttered condition of some of the rooms in my house. I was in such a whirl-wind that I didn’t know how it got that way. (I’m never there – who cluttered up my house! J - joking) But, I suspect, it came from me being so busy that I just put things in places that were out of the way so that I could keep moving.

Isn’t that how we treat God at times? We put Him somewhere out of the way until we can get around to Him – so that we can keep moving. And then we have to wonder why things are falling apart for us – well, when things get rough enough, we will, as my Grandmother used to say, “sit down somewhere.” In doing so, we open ourselves up to hearing from the Lord.

God wants a deep relationship with us. But, like all relationships, you have to want it in return. There has to be mutual interest and commitment. Make no mistake about it, God is committed to us. Be still long enough to commune with the Father.

Here’s a little something to remember:

If you continue with being “on the go”,
True intimacy with God, you may never know.

Get still. Spend time with Him now. Pay attention to Him now. Love on Him – right now. He’s worthy of our praise and our worship. Hallelujah! We give Him the highest praise.

2 Responses so far.

  1. Kathy says:

    It sounds like you've been peeking through the windows of my house! Just like my relationship with the Lord, if I don't make a conscious, purposeful effort in maintenance, it's out of control before I know it! :-)

  2. You are absolutely correct. My life is extremely hectic. My day normally begins at 5:30 and normally ends around midnight. From the time my feet touch the floor until I go to bed, I am busy! I ask myself often where and when did this happen?! I decided some time ago to make a small change, well for me an accomplishment. I am very proud of myself. For months I have been extremely busy at work and instead of taking a “real” lunch, I have been eating unhealthy at my desk. Well, three weeks ago I began packing a small lunch for work, leaving my desk, going to a quite area, eating healthy, reading my bible and praising God. It is the small things that really make a difference.