Obey God, even with the Thorn

I'm troubled about something.

And the thing that is troubling me leaches onto me like some sort of parasite. Sucking. me. dry. No matter what I  try, I cannot seem to shake it loose. So, that means, it is, for this season, my "thorn in the flesh."

I recently had a conversation with a dear friend - still aggrevated about this relentless thorn. I was frustrated and I told her about this thing that is troubling me. And, for the life of me, I cannot understand why someone else's decisions about how they choose to live their life haunts me - except for maybe this reason - we are to help our brothers and sisters in the Lord.

My friend reminded me of just that. 

None of us deserve God's grace - His unmerited favor, but He gives it to us freely. He has extended it to us such that we can have access to everlasting life. God sent His Son - He didn't have to. But He did. God's Son, Jesus, lived a holy life; taught us the way that we are to live; and then He laid down His life for us on the Cross. Thankfully, He was resurrected from the dead and ascended back to Heaven. It's all part of the Master's plan to redeem us and make us His own. But the choice is ours to make. We don't have to choose light. We can choose dark. But in the process of living our lives, those of us who have found the light are charged to share it with others.

And that's why this troubling thorn haunts me. It nags at me. So this is what I've decided to do... I commit to pray for this thing that is troubling me. The Bible clearly shows me and the "thorns" that what's going on is wrong. This "thorny" decision that my thorn-inflicting friend is making is unholy. So, I'll pray. Not that my will be done, but instead the Lord's will be done. I'll pray that the light of God's truth cast itself over that situation. That's what I am supposed to do. I will tarry with it in prayer and wait to see what God will do.

Truthfully, my flesh is not excited about it right now. My flesh says "You've tried, they didn't listen. Leave them be and let the chips fall where they may." But I know that this is the direction that I must take. Following the will of God will take you to places that you never imagined. You just have to be obedient and willing to go. I don't know where this journey of intercession is going to take me. But, I'm willing to launch out on the journey of prayer for my "thorn in the flesh" and know that God will get the glory when His will, not mine, is accomplished.

I tell you this today because I want you to always obey God. There may be a situation in your life that is akin to a "thorn in the flesh" that you want removed...right now...but tarry - hang on in there, (even if your flesh screams) - until God removes the thorn. And if He decides to let the thorn remain, know that in your deliberate obedience to His will and His way, you've done your part and God will get the glory.

Copyright Beams of Light Ministries