The Steps Matter

My Pastor preached a phenomenal message this past Sunday. One of the things that made it so good to me was that he referenced how we are all on a journey. None of us have "arrived". Some of us are at different points on the journey and thus, when we "get the victory" over something, it may look different from somebody else's "victory". And, funny thing, each time he gave an example, I went to my idea of victory whereas his answer fell shorter than I expected. But for that person, at that point on their journey, it was victory. Let me give you an example, just for clarification.

My Pastor gave an example of when men would see an attractive woman, they would get up and go chase after her. Now, since they are on this spiritual journey where they are allowing God to work in their lives, when they see an attractive woman, they do a quick look then continue on with what they were doing. That's progress. And for them, that progress is victory. Now, when he gave the example, I thought he was going to say that the man didn't look at all, or even just said hello or something a la spiritual and not sensual. That was where I thought he was going, but no, he stopped way before that. And it made me think. There are many steps on the road of our journey and each step matters.

Each step in progression is indeed victory! That is progress. It's not necessarily that you have to make it to a landmark to record victory. Instead, it's that you took the steps leading in the right direction! Ah, that's good! So, now, when I am working towards a goal, I will remember to count (and treasure) the steps in between as victories on my way to achieve my ultimate goal. The steps matter.


Copyright Beams of Light Ministries