What is Love?

Well, there is good news and bad news.

The good news is that love does really exist. The bad news is that not many people know what it is. How can I say something like that? In a country where the divorce rate is roughly 50%, I believe I have a good argument. Love seems to be elusive. In our society, numerous attempts are made to emulate love, but true love is rarely found. Instead, we defer to cupid or some other iconic figure never desiring to go past the surface. Do you ever wonder what's beneath the surface? I do.

After spending several years alone in what I call a healing and transforming period, I have come to learn a few things about love. Mainly that if it is real, it is SELFLESS. The Bible tells us: love suffers, is kind, does not envy, is not conceited, does not brag, does not behave unseemly, does not clamor to have its own way, is not easily provoked - does not think evil, rejoices in truth, bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things - LOVE NEVER FAILS. Of course, this is from 1Corinthians 13:4-8a.

That passage is a favorite at weddings. If I compare the divorce rate to the Scriptures, it would seem to me that there is some miscommunication - a misunderstanding at least - of love.

God is our role model for love. He sent His only Son to die for us out of a love for us. And Jesus loves us. He was faithful in His assignment to redeem us. While He walked among us, He gave clear examples of how to walk in love. The Holy Spirit loves us. He never leaves us comfortless.

Notice that none of this mentioned how we feel. Love is action. So, despite how you feel, will you prayerfully consider putting love into action - not just today - but every day.

3 Responses so far.

  1. Kathy says:

    Hi Sonya! It's Kathy from your P31 speaker group. It's great to see you blogging and you obviously have great wisdom to share. I tried to take your poll but it said the poll is closed so I'll answer here. I absolutely believe that suffering is a part of any Christian's life. If Jesus, King of Kings did it, we'll be expected to, too. For growth, for discipline, for becoming more Christ-like. And without it, we wouldn't come to rely on God for our needs. For example suffering illness shows us God as healer. Suffering financial harship show us God as provider...Suffering allows us to know the various aspects of God. So even though, yes, suffering is a part of Christian life, joy and love and all the other wonderful things about belonging to Jesus make it all worth it, Amen? :-) Love ya!

  2. Kathy says:

    Also, I added your link to my blog! :-)

  3. Shelley says:

    I want to comment on suffering as part of the Christian experience.

    I believe that it is the human experience that we suffer, but as Christians it is more about what we say when we face the tribulation. Do we speak as God and Jesus spoke or do speak as the world does.